As an employee or worker, you have a variety of statutory and contractual rights that define the legal relationship into which you entered with your employer or the business to whom you provide your services.
Due to the breadth of our firm and the experience of the members of the employment team, Thompson Smith and Puxon is almost unrivalled in the local market place for its ability to defend employees accused of breaching restrictive covenants in their contracts of employment or to advise senior individuals on their ability to compete against their former employer.
We should be consulted if you need assistance in defining or enforcing your legal rights at work and are happy to speak to individuals to discuss how we can help before formalising a Lawyer:Client relationship. We can assist with the following, and more;
- Negotiating mutually agreed exit terms
- Advising on settlement agreements
- Advising on your rights in an Employment Tribunal or recovering outstanding pay, holiday pay, sick pay etc.
- Defending claims of breach of contract
- Bringing or advancing claims in the Employment Tribunal
- Protecting or enforcing your rights under the Equality Act not to be discriminated against on the grounds of your
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Religion or belief, Sexual Orientation, Marriage or Gender Reassignment
- Protecting or enforcing your rights following making a Protected Disclosure (‘whistleblowing’)
- Advising you further to breaches of health and safety at work
- Advising on contractual restrictions and, defending applications for injunctive relief designed to prevent you from competing with your former employer
- Reviewing a judgment from the Employment Tribunal with a view to brining an appeal in the Employment Appeal Tribunal (note that there is a strict time limit of 42 days to lodge an appeal that must be based on a narrow set of criteria)
Legal 500: In 2022/23 the firm’s Employment Law team was once again ranked Top Tier in Essex. Team leader and Solicitor Jolyon Berry was noted as a Leading Individual in its guide to elite lawyers nationwide.
The Legal 500 said: Based in Colchester, Thompson Smith and Puxon provides solution-based corporate advice, which enables the team to ‘understand the commercial and operational implications‘ of client’s legal issues. This is exemplified by practice head Jolyon Berry who ‘explores options available, whilst advising on any potential risks.’ Berry continues to ensure that the team delivers a full range of employment advice to corporate clients and is well supported by experienced litigator Sam Welham. Standout areas of expertise for Welham include work-related stress claims and disability discrimination proceedings.
‘I appreciate the care taken by the team to prepare cases and communicate with their clients; they take a thoughtful yet deeply practical approach which really meets their clients’ needs.’
‘I have always been impressed by the commitment Jolyon Berry and Sam Welham show to their clients, whether acting for employers or for employees. They listen to what their clients say and pursue the best outcome for them with great determination.’
If you are looking for an Employment Law Solicitor in Colchester or Clacton please do get in touch to find out how we can help you with your employment problem …