Your mortgage lender will usually discuss insurance with you. There are 2 types of insurance that you will need:

• Buildings Insurance: cover for the bricks and mortar of your home
• Contents Insurance: cover for your household contents. You will need to work out
how much cover you need

A buyer should arrange insurance cover for their new property from “exchange of contracts”. However, if you are buying a flat the landlord will already have buildings insurance in place so you will not have to arrange this.