Financial support payable by the non-resident parent for the benefit of children cared for by the other parent. Child maintenance can be paid voluntarily or through the statutory Child Maintenance Options Scheme (formerly the Child Support Agency). In certain circumstances, the court also has the power to order child maintenance. The amount of child maintenance payable depends on the income of the non-resident parent and other factors.