Colchester and Clacton-based law firm Thompson Smith and Puxon (TSP) is pleased to announce a new addition to the Commercial Property team.
The Colchester team has been boosted by the arrival of Mark Rowlands, who was admitted as a solicitor in November 2006. Mark undertakes all types of Commercial Property work.
Mark, who was born and raised in Aberystwyth, Wales, worked as a primary school teacher before qualifying as a solicitor. Having studied for his degree in Geography and Politics at the University of London he undertook a Post Graduate Diploma in Education before deciding to take his career in a different direction in the late 90’s.
He then undertook a Post Graduate Diploma in Law and went on to study for his Legal Practice Certificate at the College of Law in London, all whilst working as a teacher. He undertook his training contract with a Suffolk based Law firm, moved to Suffolk from Essex at the same time, and has enjoyed living there ever since.
Mark says “Working as a Commercial Property solicitor was not necessarily my first choice when I decided to change career direction. However, I undertook a great deal of both residential and commercial property work during my training and found that this area of the law suited my personality – I love problem solving and finding pragmatic solutions for my clients.”
Mark fills his spare time with sport. He is a fan of most sports but in particular loves American sports such as baseball and American football and regularly participates in fantasy leagues, testing his skills as a manager against others! He has recently developed an interest in cooking and enjoys being walked by his two Lhasa Apsos.
Welcoming Mark to the firm, Head of Property, Stephen Firmin said “On behalf of the Directors and staff at TSP I would very much like to welcome Mark to the firm. The TSP Property team is thriving as the Commercial Property market continues to grow following the recession and I am positive that Mark too will thrive at TSP and go on to become a valuable asset to the firm.”
The TSP Commercial property team has extensive technical expertise in the handling of commercial and agricultural land and property acquisitions, disposals and related development transactions such as option and pre-emption agreements. Areas of expertise include:
- Acquisition and disposal of all types of freehold and leasehold property for trading and / or investment
- Property development (including site acquisition, option and pre-emption agreements, planning issues, joint venture and other ownership structures, disposals)
- Grants and disposals of leases in all sectors, including mining and mineral leasing transactions
- Commercial mortgages and other secured finance arrangements including property based financing of corporate transactions
- General property ownership and management issues (including easements, overage arrangements, ownership structures, compulsory purchase, property management documentation)