TSP Family Law Solicitor, Shelley Cumbers, recently featured on Dream 100’s ‘Ask the Expert’. Shelley chatted to daytime presenter Murf (Jonathan Murphy) about Family Law for unmarried couples.
In the first of a three part series Shelley and Murf discuss:
- The misconception that is ‘Common Law Marriage’
- How the law regarding finances and property differs for an unmarried couple compared to a married couple or a couple in a civil partnership
- Arrangements for children for unmarried parents
- The meaning of parental responsibility
- How an unmarried father can obtain Parental Responsibility (PR)
- Birth certificate
- Marrying Mum
- Parental Responsibility agreement
- Being appointed as guardian
- Parental Responsibility Court order
In part two, Shelley talks about the implications for unmarried couples when the property they are living in is owned solely by one of the them. She also explains:
- What a cohabitation agreement is and the importance of having one
- How unmarried couples buying property together can use a Declaration of Trust to protect their interest in the property
In Part three, Shelley and Murf chat about:
- Happily unmarried couples who do not have a Will in place
- The rules of intestacy – what happens when one of the couple dies without leaving a Will
Finally Shelley explains what a Collaborative Lawyer is and how the Collaborative Law process works.
Shelley is a member of Resolution (formerly known as The Solicitors Family Law Association) and is also a trained Collaborative Lawyer . She is committed to resolving disputes constructively and sensibly.
Shelley is able to offer prospective clients a free half hour initial chat so if you have a Family problem that you would like to discuss with Shelley she can be contacted on email@example.com or +44 (0)1206 217078.