The court will not accept a photocopy of the marriage certificate. This means that if you do not have the original marriage certificate you will need to obtain an official certified copy. If your marriage took place in England and Wales you can obtain a copy from the General Register Office for births, marriages and deaths. If your marriage took place abroad you will need to make enquiries with the relevant foreign authorities.