When symptoms are missed and a delay in referral takes place this can make the outcome worse for the patient than it might have been and a clinical negligence claim may be possible.
The cases that the TSP team have worked on include:
- A delay in diagnosing (and therefore referring to Hospital) a Deep Vein Thrombosis in a patient who had very recently undergone surgery
- A delay in referring a patient for further gynaecological tests resulting in delay in diagnosing cervical cancer
- Failure to refer for breast screening following cancer resulting in delayed diagnosis of the cancer having returned
- Failure to spot an ectopic pregnancy resulting in the removal of a fallopian tube
- Missed testicular torsion resulting in the removal of a testicle
Read more about these cases below…